While the holiday seasons can mean partying, fun and merriment, to some people it can also be one of their most stressful time. Juggling from shopping, attending parties and get together, dealing with financial problems as you have additional expenses brought about by the holiday season and more, can bring a lot of stress to an individual. And we all know that eating is one of the easiest outlet for stress especially during the holiday season where there are parties here and there which can really tempt one to over eat and stay off track their diet plans and weight loss goals.
So how can you stay healthy and avoid stress eating during the holidays? Here are some tips:
1. Plan your holidays. Events during the holiday season can be overwhelming. You will receive invitations for parties and reunions, battle the crowd as you do your shopping, attend to your normal routine and more, which can all contribute to your stress. Manage your time well by organizing everything in your calendar. Take note of all the activities that you have to do and plan them ahead of time. You are also not obliged to attend every parties that you are invited to so learn to say no and make realistic plans and commitments that you can keep.
2. Make a meal plan and stick to it. You will surely attend a number of get together during the holiday season, which can tempt you to forget about your diet. You can still attend these parties without the fear that you might overeat by making a meal plan before you go to the party. Fill up before going to the event by eating soup or crackers so you will have a full tummy which lessens your chance to be tempted to the food that is presented before you. Make healthy food choices as you eat during the party like eating salad with less dressing, choosing food that is rich in fiber and the like.
3. Keep healthy snacks at home and at work. You will surely receive lots of Christmas goodies like chocolates, cookies, candies from your co-workers and friends so it is wise to stock up on healthy snacks like fruits, nuts, crackers and the like so you will have a choice if being offered or faced with these tempting holiday goodies.
4. Get enough sleep and exercise. During this busy season, make sure that you get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep so you will have the needed energy to get through your busy schedule, which can lessen your stress. Don’t forget to exercise too as it can help increase endorphins, which are natural stress fighters to help reduce the negative effects of stress.
5. Indulge moderately. Although you have to watch what you eat, it is still good to indulge once in a while. If you want to enjoy desserts like a slice of cake for example while in a party, portion the cake, eat it slowly and savor each bite.
Your emotional feeling can directly impact how you eat especially during the holiday season where food temptations are just right before your eyes. Don’t let yourself be off track your weight loss goal by following the tips mentioned above, on how to be stress free and healthy this coming holidays.